As Spinnaker has a microservice-oriented architecture, the recommended way to deploy Spinnaker is, to deploy in a Kubernetes environment (an open-source system for automating deployment, scaling, and management of containerized applications i.e. microservices).
In this tutorial, we will show you how easy it is to set up a Spinnaker instance in Kubernetes using Helm Charts. You can have a Spinnaker up and running in less than 20 minutes. To be successful, the Kubernetes cluster needs to support:
- 18G of memory and 6 CPU cores
- Persistent Storage Volumes (PV)
Pre-requisites of deploying Spinnaker on Kubernetes
- You have Kubernetes cluster ready and kubectl can connect to that cluster
- You have helm v3 installed
Steps to deploy Spinnaker on Kubernetes
- We will install Spinnaker using the published stable Helm chart. If you want to customize the installation, get the values.yaml file, and customize it.
- Run helm commands to setup Spinnaker (the -f values. yaml is required if you are customizing your installation)
helm repo add stable https://kubernetes-charts.storage.googleapis.com/
helm install spinnaker stable/spinnaker [-f values.yaml]
- Give it some time. Once all the pods are running, your Spinnaker is deployed and ready to use.
$ kubectl get pods NAME READY STATUS RESTARTS AGE spin-clouddriver-749d9c9589-wg49j 1/1 Running 0 11m spin-deck-775cdfccff-shzcb 1/1 Running 0 11m spin-echo-5fd76b8f79-fkdm9 1/1 Running 0 11m spin-front50-597b4ff46d-72kxr 1/1 Running 0 11m spin-gate-7dc88df658-xl8nm 1/1 Running 0 11m spin-igor-67b9b4c66-zs28q 1/1 Running 0 11m spin-orca-7d5958f8d6-c6w7x 1/1 Running 0 11m spin-rosco-67847b657b-gx5vc 1/1 Running 0 11m spinnaker-install-using-hal-mdt4q 0/1 Completed 0 14m spinnaker-minio-5c994565d6-fjdkm 1/1 Running 0 14m spinnaker-redis-master-0 1/1 Running 0 14m spinnaker-spinnaker-halyard-0 1/1 Running 0 14m
Your Spinnaker is now deployed but how do you access it? You could always create port-forwards as mentioned in the output of the helm install used to deploy Spinnaker. But that works when you are using your local laptop. If your Kubernetes cluster supports loadbalancer services, it is easier to create a loadbalancer and access Spinnaker. This best option to make it available to everyone.
- Create a file spinsvcs.yml to create the loadbalancer service to Spinnaker.
- name: http
- Run the commands to create the service
kubectl apply -f spinsvcs.yml
- .To get the hostname to connect to Spinnaker run,
$ kubectl get service spin-deck-ui NAME TYPE CLUSTER-IP EXTERNAL-IP PORT(S) AGE spin-deck-ui LoadBalancer 172.30.16.45 22.214.171.124 9000:31544/TCP 12m
Once you have the EXTERNAL-IP address, you can connect to Spinnaker using the value of the EXTERNAL-IP. For example, using the above we get the output as:
If you want to know more about the Spinnaker or request a demonstration, please book a meeting with us.
OpsMx is a leading provider of Continuous Delivery solutions that help enterprises safely deliver software at scale and without any human intervention. We help engineering teams take the risk and manual effort out of releasing innovations at the speed of modern business. For additional information, contact us